Joshua has been a professional game designer, producer, and monetization expert for 11 years and specializes in next-gen mobile-social game design and monetization. He is currently a Creative Director at Glu Mobile.
- He designed two new games at Zynga including the Top 10 Grossing, Apple and Google Games of the Year title FarmVille 2: Country Escape.
- He was Design Director for Playdom/Disney's largest internal studio by DAU, oversaw all studio design, re-designed Wild Ones thereby quadrupling its revenue, and contributed to the design of Social Game of the Year 2010, Social City.
- As Head of Design and Production at TinyCo, he directed studio game development and design including on top grossing mobile-social hits Tiny Zoo and Tiny Chef.
- As Senior Game Designer and Monetization Specialist at Z2Live, he designed on top grossing mobile-social hits Trade Nations and Battle Nations, directly generating millions in revenue.
- He designed for Digital Chocolate as a Studio Design Lead and contributed to the social game mega-hit Millionaire City and other company hits.
- He published 40 games for GarageGames, produced 12 games for InstantAction, and designed 10 games for Luma Arcade across mobile, iOS, console, and web.
Joshua is published in the Thomson Course Technology book Business and Production for Games, is a six time judge of the IGF, a featured author on Gamasutra, and has a decade of prior SaaS experience at Microsoft, Sun, and WebTrends.
- Game Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLUxP8vVcA
PUBLISHED GAMES CREDITED (35)
PUBLISHED SOCIAL MOBILE GAMES
- FarmVille 2: Country Escape ~#10 Top Grossing Hit~
- CastleVille Legends
- Battle Nations ~#9 Top Grossing Hit~
- Trade Nations~#1 Top Grossing Hit~
- Metal Storm ~#7 Top Grossing Hit~
- Tiny Zoo ~#3 Top Grossing Hit~
- Tiny Chef ~#6 Top Grossing Hit~
- Tiny Nightclub
- Tap Resort
- VIP Poker
- Metal Storm: Aces
PUBLISHED SOCIAL GAMES
- Millionaire City ~Top Hit~
- Zombie Lane
- Army Attack
- Millionaire Boss
- Island God
- Social City ~Top Hit~
- Wild Ones
- Tiki Resort
PUBLISHED MOBILE GAMES
- Marble Blast Mobile
- The Harvest
- Astros Space Race
PUBLISHED MMO GAMES
- Lore: Aftermath
- Marble Blast Ultra
- Shelled Online
PUBLISHED CASUAL GAMES
- Dragon Hatchery
All credited as one of the following: Design Lead, Studio Design Lead, Studio Design Director, Head of Design & Production, Game Producer, Sr. Game Designer, or Game Designer
Discussion of the biggest ways to fail your players in free-to-play games, examples, and how to correct and avoid these problems.
Methodology for designing social and mobile/social games starting with accessibility and covering every point from download to monetization
A discussion on the design shift required to move from traditional thinking about new platforms to the new platform of social games.
This is the designer's postmortem for Marble Blast Mobile and discusses the game design considerations and challenges that went into porting the XBLA hit game onto the iPhone platform.
Yesterday I returned home from six months as a game designer in South Africa. I went there looking for job experience, not outback safari adventure, though got both. However, this isn't a travelogue, but an analysis of the game industry in South Africa.
[News - 11/24/2016 - 03:59]
What a fascinating game and ...
What a fascinating game and great exposition discussing it. Bravo for fearlessly and skillfully mixing genres to find new fun. r n r n there is also lots of subtext I don 't know if anyone will ever see, understand, or care about r n r nI believe players pay ...
[Blog - 05/24/2016 - 02:02]
I bought and played an ...
I bought and played an Xbox One game recently, on sale for 40. First the console had to do an update. I had to monkey with Wifi settings to update, and had trouble getting the wireless controller to connect. Then it rebooted, and had to slowly install the update. Then ...
[News - 10/05/2015 - 02:02]
The Steam Machine is targeting ...
The Steam Machine is targeting the living room, which implies a more console-like design and user experience. r n r nIt 's a big announcement as it essentially pits the Steam section against the PS4 Section and other console-sections - it grants invaluable, dedicated-branded shelf-space. r n r nPositioning the ...
[News - 09/08/2015 - 04:01]