All the way back in November I wrote a quick post about Chaos Rematch. Another post is overdue, to say the least! Below is a video showing some of the things I've been up to (you'll have to click the link because I'm having trouble embedding the video in Gamasutra. It starts with footage of the debug version of the game, which is used by me to see how the game will look on different resolutions as well as change various inner game settings and modes. After that some short clips showing other examples of short routines I'll be including in the main game are shown.
This is a short list of what I've got through so far, ready for implementation into the larger game:-
- Core sprite engine and particle engine.
- Some UI components such as a spell bar and an onscreen keyboard for touchscreen devices.
- Algorithms for field of vision in varying light levels, line of sight and other things concerned with visibility.
- 8-10 directional A* pathfinding, capable of factoring in threats and goals as well as many little extras to make the AI smooth and interesting.
- Multiplayer networking – uses TCP across Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and WebOS.
- A very fast isometric look for the over-world in single player campaign mode.
- A bunch of minor things including routine for allowing customised coloured sprites and adjusting for variable frame rate.
What I haven't started work on are the core game mechanics. As part of taking part in the One Game a Month community I'm aiming to get something workable out by the end of March. My plan is to complete a hot-seat multiplayer version of the basic battle mode. This way I can start to play with the creatures, wizards and spells to see how they balance out. Network multiplayer and singleplayer (against computer AI) won't be features until layer.