Please keep in mind that I have to do all this artwork in stages since I am also the lead developer of our Cortex Game development engine that Megaloptura is being built upon. So most of this work could probably all be done in a day or two if I was 100% dedicated to the 3D modeling and didn't have to code.
That being said. Here is our new low poly retopologized pigbug with quads that was based on the Mudbox model I quickly made last week. The Mudbox model is nice...but far too many polys and they are all triangles and would be a nightmare to work with. So it is easier to retopo it.
Then I took the new model and added a UV unwrap modifier...through the default crappy seams away and put seams on the bug where I wanted it to split open and lay flat. I then added the bug to the pelt stretched and skinned that puppy just like a opossum or whatever timber zombie types like to skin and stretch. Here is the result of my pelt stretched UVs next to my low poly pig bug...hope you enjoy.
You can support the Megaloptura project and get a pre-order copy at Neuron Games, Inc.