GameFly Charts Surface With BioShock, Xbox 360 On Top
This week's top rental charts from U.S. game rental company GameFly, representing the most requested games for the week ending August 6, highlight both to-be-released and already released games in a unique demand-specific chart.
Recent weeks have seen significant shuffling of titles on the service's all platform request chart, with last week's top title, Madden NFL 08, falling a pair of spots to take the chart's third position. SouthPeak's Xbox 360 RPG Two Worlds remained static as the second most requested title on the list behind Take Two's BioShock, this week's top requested title overall.
What follows is a break down of the top titles requested by GameFly subscribers across each of the major platforms:
1. BioShock (Take Two), 2. Two Worlds (South Peak), 3. Madden NFL 08 (EA), 4. Overlord (Codemasters), 5. Darkness (Take Two).
Take Two's underwater action title BioShock took top honors this week, climbing an impressive four spots from last week. As with the overall chart, the second and third most requested Xbox 360 releases for the week were Two Worlds and Madden NFL 08 respectively, once more showcasing the platform's popularity among GameFly subscribers.
1. Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo), 2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo) 3. Brunswick Pro Bowling (Crave), 4. Resident Evil 4 (Capcom), 5. Mario Party 8 (Nintendo).
This week's Wii release, Mario Strikers Charged, again ranked as the top requested title for Nintendo's console, followed by the highly anticipated Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Surprisingly, Crave's Brunswick Pro Bowling surged to take the chart's third position, knocking Capcom's Resident Evil 4 into the fourth spot, the lowest the game has ranked since its release last month.
1. Lair (Sony), 2. Madden NFL 08 (EA), 3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Tecmo), 4. Heavenly Sword (Sony), 5. Darkness (Take Two).
Sony's Lair again remained the top requested PS3 title at GameFly, though EA's Madden NFL 08, which last week ranked in at a paltry seventh place, this week ranked second among PS3 requests, pushing Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden Sigma into third.
1. Madden NFL 08 (EA), 2. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (Activision), 3. Transformers (Activision), 4. God of War II (Sony), 5. Stuntman: Ignition (THQ).
It's not just the next-gen versions of Madden that GameFly users are craving, with Madden NFL 08 also ranking as the top requested PS2 title this week as well. Activision's Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s, after a pair of weeks on top of the chart, fell to take second place, followed by the movie-inspired Transformers, which seems to have struck a chord with GameFly users, having remained among the top five requested PS2 titles since its debut.
1. Halo 2 (Microsoft), 2. Madden NFL 08 (EA), 3. Knights of the Old Republic II (LucasArts), 4. NCAA Football 08 (EA), 5. Family Guy! (Take Two).
After a brief period on top of the original Xbox chart, Madden NFL 08 fell to take the list's second place spot, behind the ever-popular Halo 2. The rest of the chart remained more or less static from previous months, though surprisingly Take Two's Family Guy! adaptation managed to squeak onto the chart in the fifth position this week.
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo), 2. Mario Party 7 (Nintendo), 3. Mario Kart: Double Dash (Nintendo), 4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo), 5. Super Mario Strikers (Nintendo).
With the latest game in the Super Smash Bros. franchise set to debut for the Wii later this year, players have begun to show their enthusiasm, pushing Super Smash Bros. Melee to the top of the GameCube request chart. In fact, most surprising is perhaps that after months on top of the chart, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has finally begun to slip, falling to fourth place among GameCube requests this week.
1. Heroes of Mana (Square Enix), 2. Picross (Nintendo), 3. Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (Natsume), 4. Pokemon Diamond (Nintendo), 5. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo).
The upcoming RTS from Square Enix, Heroes of Mana, ranked as the week's top requested DS title ahead of its August 14 release, knocking last week's top release, Nintendo's Picross, into second place. Also interesting is the appearance of Natsume's Harvest Moon title Rune Factory, which ranked higher than longtime fan favorite Pokemon Diamond.
Game Boy Advance
1. Pokemon: Emerald (Nintendo), 2. Pokemon:Fire Red (Nintendo), 3. Pokemon: Sapphire (Nintendo), 4. Pokemon: Ruby (Nintendo), 5. Pokemon: Leaf Green (Nintendo).
In what has become something of a tradition, Pokemon releases again dominated the Game Boy Advance chart, with Pokemon: Emerald ranking as the top requested title for the handheld. The only movement of note for the week saw Pokemon: Leaf Green fall a pair of spots to take the chart's fifth position, while Pokemon: Sapphire moved in to take the third place spot.
1. Brave Story (Xseed), 2. Final Fantasy II (Square Enix), 3. Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (Sega), 4. 300: March to Glory (Eidos), 5. Madden NFL 08 (EA).
Xseed and Game Republic's old school RPG Brave Story moved ahead of Final Fantasy II to become the most requested PSP title for the week, with Square Enix's recent RPG remake taking the chart's second place. Eidos' movie adaptation of 300 remained a popular choice among GameFly users as well, while EA's Madden NFL 08 rounded out the PSP chart in fifth.