This week's top rental charts from U.S. game rental company GameFly, representing the most requested games for the week ending December 7th, highlight both to-be-released and already released games in a unique demand-specific chart.
Interestingly, this week's top five all-platform requests are wedged firmly in place, after very minimal movement over the last several weeks. Last week saw Kane and Lynch: Dead Men, gain one slot over Call of Duty 4, but this week, they trade places again, with CoD4 regaining the third spot and Kane and Lynch slipping back to number four.
Other than that, Assassin's Creed spends its fourth week at number one, Mass Effect spends its third week at number two, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune spends its third week in the fifth spot, from which it hasn't budged since its entry into the top five.
It's worth noting that none of the top five all-platform titles have received unanimous critical acclaim, with Metacritic showing broad ranges of scores, simultaneously as low as 50 and as high as 100 on the aggregator's 100-point scale, for each title. With the holiday shopping season well upon us, the rental list clearly delineates the season's big "try-its," which retain high interest, and the lack of movement suggests that they might not be universally becoming "buy-its."
Neither do the titles by platform show significant chart movement; the only exception, also notably, is the top five Wii requests, which show Soul Calibur Legends and GameParty slipping out of the top five in favor of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams and Trauma Center: New Blood.
What follows is a breakdown of the top titles requested by GameFly subscribers across each of the major platforms:
1. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
2. Mass Effect (Microsoft)
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
4. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (Eidos)
5. Blacksite: Area 51 (Midway)
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
2. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Sega)
3. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
4. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
5. Trauma Center: New Blood (Atlus)
1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Sony)
2. Unreal Tournament III (Midway)
3. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
5. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (Eidos)
1. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Atari)
2. MX vs ATV Untamed (THQ)
3. Need For Speed: ProStreet (EA)
4. Manhunt 2 (Take-Two)
5. Simpsons Game (EA)
1. Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
2. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Square Enix)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom
4. Contra 4 (Konami)
5. Cooking Mama 2: Dinner With Friends (Majesco)
1. Silent Hill: Origins (Konami)
2. Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (LucasArts)
3. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Konami)
4. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Square Enix)
5. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (EA)