Despite now being confirmed for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII is still more highly anticipated by owners of Sony's machine, according to data from research group OTX shared with Gamasutra -- it's the game most wanted by the PS3 base.
Despite that, while the majority of titles on the top 20 list are also multiplatform games with Xbox 360 versions, the PlayStation 3 most-wanted list actually features more first-party exclusives than those of the other two systems combined, numbering four in total.
One of those games, Sucker Punch Productions' Infamous, also holds the distinction of being the sole entry across all 60 most wanted games for the three major consoles that represents a brand-new property launch.
And while Final Fantasy XIII is the most wanted game, Sony Santa Monica's God of War III is only slightly behind in purchase intent, and its planned purchasers indicated a more widespread desire to actually put down preorder money.
The data, as provided by OTX's GamePlan Insights business intelligence tool and delivered to Gamasutra, was drawn during March and April of 2009, with the division's parent company OTX polling 1,000 gamers across numerous demographics on a weekly basis.
The 20 games with the highest levels of purchase intent among the PlayStation 3 audience are as follows:
1. Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
2. God of War III (SCE Santa Monica)
3. Madden NFL 10 (EA Tiburon)
4. Assassin's Creed 2 (Ubisoft Montreal)
5. Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision)
6. Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai)
7. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Raven Software, Activision)
8. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Naughty Dog, Sony)
9. Need for Speed: Shift (Slightly Mad Studios, EA)
10. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time (Insomniac Games, Sony)
11. BioShock 2 (2K Marin, 2K Australia)
12. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady Studios, Eidos/Warner Bros.)
13. Fight Night Round 4 (EA Canada)
14. NCAA Football 10 (EA Tiburon)
15. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (EA Tiburon)
16. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Terminal Reality, Atari)
17. Infamous (Sucker Punch Productions, Sony)
18. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Fusion (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
19. Half-Life 2: Episode Three (Valve Software)
20. UFC 2009 Undisputed (Yuke's Media Creations, THQ)
The following chart of the first ten games on the list also illustrates levels of preorder intent among those who have already indicated general purchase intent:
More than half the games on the list are also present on the Xbox 360 list, suggesting a strong similarity in audience despite some key differences. Some of the higher-ranked of these titles include Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, and Tekken 6, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The PlayStation 3 list was the only one among the three major consoles not to include Harmonix's The Beatles: Rock Band.
In another interesting note, Valve's Half-Life 2: Episode Three made it onto the PS3 list at number 19, despite the game still being effectively unannounced, with no details or release projection available; it did not appear on the Xbox 360 list.