UK Modern Warfare 2 Sales Hit $111.8 Million To Top UK Charts
That equals 1.78 million units, according to ELSPA/GfK-ChartTrack data. The title, which launched on November 10, sold 1.23 million units on its first day in the UK, and Activision said combined day-one sales for the U.S. and the UK reached 4.7 million.
Activision aimed for the "biggest entertainment launch of all time," and it seems to have achieved it with Modern Warfare 2, the launch of which has doubled previous records set by Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto IV.
The launch of the game also helped drive Xbox Live to a new record of 2 million concurrent users, while demand for its multiplayer component strained the capacity of PlayStation Network's servers briefly on launch day.
"These figures tell a clear story. The video games industry is now an established part of the mainstream entertainment mix," said ELSPA director general Michael Rawlinson.
"Whilst the launch of Modern Warfare 2 has indeed been extraordinary, it is indicative of the growing popularity of video games. One in three people in the UK now play video games regularly."
Chart-Track also published the weekly all-platforms UK top 10, which saw Wii Sports Resort, FIFA 10 and Forza Motorsport 3 crack the list:
UK All-Platforms Top 10
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
2. Wii Sports Resport (Nintendo)
3. FIFA 10 (EA)
4. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
5. Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft)
6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Sega)
7. Lego Batman: The Video Game (WBIE)
8. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
9. Pure (DIS)
10. GTA Episodes - Liberty city (Take-Two)
UK Individual Platforms Top 10
Chart-Track also said that the Xbox 360 version of Modern Warfare 2 sold over 1 million units in the first week, or more than half total Modern Warfare 2 sales. The Xbox 360 version was the top game on the individual platforms rankings:
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision, Xbox 360)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision, PS3)
3. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii)
4. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii)
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision, PC)
6. Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft, Xbox 360)
7. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii)
8. FIFA 10 (EA, Xbox 360)
9. Lego Batman: The Video Game (WBIE, Xbox 360)
10. Pure (DIS, Xbox 360)