We already knew that things weren't so hot between Nintendo and its indie guy Dan Adelman, but now Adelman has confirmed that he has left the company after nine years.
Adelman was banned from posting on Twitter by Nintendo
last year, after he spoke ill of the company's region locking exploits. Now Adelman has told Kotaku that he left Nintendo last Friday.
The industry veteran says that he was frustrated with Nintendo's acts to clamp down on actions that did not gel with its corporate message, such as the banning of his Twitter account.
"I think people were kind of on pins and needles about anything untoward I might say," he noted. "And every once in a while, I'd give an answer that people didn't like, and some people would freak out, so they tried to scale things back. First they had me do interviews with someone from PR or marketing. Later they just decided that I shouldn't be in the press at all anymore."
"I had been strongly encouraged to stay off of Twitter — or at least say only things that were clearly safe — so after the region-locking comment they just said I needed to stop completely," he added. "When people started complaining that I wasn't active on Twitter anymore, it was suggested that a PR person could just post in my name. I thought that was about the worst idea I'd ever heard, so I left it as is and let the silence speak for itself."
Adelman will stay in the industry as an independent marketing and biz dev specialist
for indies. He also stressed that there is still a team at Nintendo dedicated to helping indie devs bring their games to Nintendo platforms.
You can read the full interview at Kotaku