Gamasutra: The Art & Business of Making Gamesspacer
View All     RSS
October 30, 2014
arrowPress Releases
October 30, 2014
PR Newswire
View All

If you enjoy reading this site, you might also want to check out these UBM Tech sites:

Study: 65 Million Online Gamers In China By Year-End
Study: 65 Million Online Gamers In China By Year-End
August 28, 2009 | By Kris Graft

August 28, 2009 | By Kris Graft
More: Console/PC

China will have 64.9 million online gamers by the end of 2009, in a market that is growing at an "incredible rate," San Jose, Calif.-based research firm Niko Partners said this week.

Each of these players will spend $52 on average, the firm said. The Chinese audience prefers free-to-play games -- which generate revenues from virtual item buys and advertising -- over subscription-based games, according to Niko Partners.

"There’s no doubt that the market for games is growing at an incredible rate in China," said Lisa Cosmas Hanson, the firm's managing partner. "The economics of the market are shifting from supply-driven to demand-driven..." she added.

In May this year, Niko said the Chinese online games market would reach $8.9 billion by 2013 from $2.75 billion in 2008, with MMOs contributing 77 percent of total revenues, and casual games contributing the remaining 23 percent.

Online games in the region continue to thrive on the culture of internet cafes. Niko's May study counted 170,000 internet cafes in China, with a total 23 million PCs.

Niko's highlighted numbers were released as part of the company's new research report, 'The 2009 Chinese Gamers Study'.

Related Jobs

Churchill Navigation
Churchill Navigation — Boulder, Colorado, United States

3D Application Engineer
CCP — Newcastle, England, United Kingdom

Senior Backend Programmer
Guerrilla Games
Guerrilla Games — Amsterdam, Netherlands

Animation System Programmer
Nexon America, Inc.
Nexon America, Inc. — El Segundo, California, United States

Localization Coordinator


Lo Pan
profile image
But they are not playing legitimate copies of console and PC games or if they are playing them it is not at fair market prices. With no indications that the Chinese government will aggressive fix this core problem (oh and opening the market up non-Chinese publishers) - making real money is a mirage.

Idris Z
profile image
It doesn't really matter if they aren't purchasing legitimate copies of console games. the article is mainly focus on online gamer, which tends to be MMO, and MMOs in Asia are almost 100% free, and only way to make money is via microtransaction.

The Article simply suggest that there is a big market for MMO and casual game in Asia, not the traditional retail style that's often used in the West.

Giordano Contestabile
profile image

each of those 65 million gamers spend on average 50USD on online games (mainly microtransactions, but some pay-per-time, such as WoW). This means that there is an existing 3B+ USD market for companies that are able to adapt their products to those new business models. And most (if not all) large Western publishers are already in China, working through local publishers, and their games are on the market.

john jang
profile image
I come from China, and has been involved in game development work for the Chinese players created by the practical interests of the value of this point is beyond doubt, but the poor quality of China's game developers, often at very little cost to spend a little time can be developed within an online game, investors often do not understand what a game, they begin to develop games. In this case, less likely to develop high-quality game. Our team has been involved in the development of the game a few such similar projects. The purpose of development of the game has been completely distorted, and most cases will be to seek low-cost, high-yield windfall profits for the purpose. Ornamental art has been abandoned.

zhiwei chen
profile image
In fact,most company in China are't reluctant to develope the games,because the cost is very high and many risks.This leads to the most popular games is from other country,such as Japan,Korea.

King Lee
profile image
In China, what they play is not online game, is loneliness.......

Charlie Liu
profile image
Hey, your mom is calling you back home for dinner.

Dan VanBogelen
profile image
WoW was marketed as a pay by the hour a while back, I know there having issues with the provider, I don't know if the pay model has changed. I believe the pay system is setup to work better in the internet cafe's, it would be far easier to give out free copies for the internet cafe's to install, then have people purchase game time by the hour.

Piracy is a big problem in China, so giving away free copies and charging by the hour would be a decent practice.