Get a job: Insomniac is hiring an experienced Engine Programmer
Location: Durham, NC
We are looking for Senior Engine Programmers to work within the Core team to design, add and modify features of both runtime and tools components of the engine. These roles will design, write and modify data and code with a heavy focus on real-time performance and usability. Insomniac will be looking to you to provide and help guide features which can be used in practice to create best-in-class contributions to our games. Read on for more details!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and develop new engine technology for current and future games based on prioritized list of what other departments require
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Collaborate with others on the team to design and build architectures for new systems, and maintain and improve those of current systems
- Work proactively with Engine Director to identify technical and developmental risks and obstacles and helps generate solutions
- Provide technical leadership in areas of specialization and assist other engineers with technical questions
- Work independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision
- Implement new functionality in engine
- Design and implement efficient low-level systems to support higher-level programmers and pipelines
- Rewrite existing systems as directed for increased functionality, reduced memory usage, and increased performance
- Respond to bugs and feature requests related to engine code as directed
- Revise program for corrections, enhancements, or system environment changes
- Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs
- Complete processor-specific optimization tasks
- Develop familiarity with hardware details of specific game platforms, their capabilities and performance bottlenecks
- Analyze code performance
- Work with debugging software on specific game platforms
- Document technology implementation details
- Other duties may be assigned
These positions has no supervisory responsibilities, however, these roles are required to advise and mentor other programmers (both inside and outside the Engine department) within their specific areas of expertise.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent; or more than seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluency in C, C++, and proficiency in assembly/microcode programming (various CPU cores).
- Strong grasp of mathematical concepts, graphics, collision detection, data transformation, database management, and advanced programming techniques.
If this sounds interesting to you, please use the link below and apply. We have multiple roles open, and we look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.