Rex Rocket Press Release
In partnership with Castle Pixel, the Council of Science today announced the launch date for their next transgalactic space mission. Rex Rocket, a retro 2D platformer that offers more than nostalgic 8-bit visuals and catchy chiptune music, will release for PC on the Steam Store on August 5th, 2014.
You play as either Captain Rexford or Rexanna, a former war hero who now transports scientists throughout the universe in their epic Star Ship-- the S.S. Montana. During their latest mission, the Terra-Oozling specimens being transported somehow escape and only Rex can defeat the army of corrupted machines and rescue his surviving crew members.
In a time when the downloadable market is crowded with pixelated platformers, Rex Rocket offers plenty of fresh gameplay twists while providing over 100 connected levels filled with countless puzzles, enemies, and challenges. This is a space adventure you’ll never forget as you explore an expansive starship, meet quirky characters with lighthearted dialogue, and save your friends from a powerful AI gone berserk.
Since its successful Kickstarter campaign, Rex Rocket’s unique 2D game play and gorgeous retro presentation has earned it praise from both critics and players around the globe:
· Katie Williams, PC Gamer – “An adorable mashing-together of space-age rocketship technology and yesteryear's happy, pixelated aesthetic, this is looking like a promising addition to the indie scene."
· Christian Valentin, Indie Game Enthusiast – “Rex Rocket's appeal is two-fold. The charming retro aesthetic brings its colorful sci-fi world to life...[and] action platforming experience that mixes tough platforming, combat, and puzzles."
· Jonathan Higgins, Operation Rainfall – “...Mega Man fans have a reason to be excited, and I’m not talking about something from Comcept.
· Anthony Swinnich, Indiegames.com – “...an honest attempt to prove quality need not be hindered by rose-tinted glasses."
· David Sanchez, Gamezone – “...platforming and shooting mechanics reminiscent of classics such as Mega Man, Metroid, and Contra."
Rex Rocket for PC launches August 5th on Steam.