HEX: Shards of Fate What makes the game special?
HEX combines the amazing community and role-playing aspects of a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMO) with the compelling collectible and strategic gameplay of a Trading Card Game (TCG) to create an entirely new category of a game, the MMO/TCG. Now it’s your turn!
· Individualise your Cards – A few cards possess “sockets”. Players are able to boost these cards by using Gems. These Gems can add additional damage, defence or other effects to a card. There are around 20 different gems so far only for set 1 (~350 PvP cards + 350 PvE cards). More to come!
· Champions & Mercenaries – Players will have a Champion for every deck. They have different “Charge powers” players can use during the game. There are already around 25 champions in the game. There are also Mercenaries in the PvE component of the game. Mercenaries can replace your champion and are very powerful. You can get them in different rarities everywhere in the game.
· Trade almost everything – HEX already features a fully functional auction house. You can sell everything except card sleeves. Regardless of whether you want to sell PvE equipment, mercenaries, PvE and PvP cards, booster packs – just go ahead and do it.
· No physical limitations – HEX can have the craziest mechanics because it is completely digital! For example the Escalation mechanic: after you have played the card Ragefire, it goes back in the deck and every Ragefire will now deal not 2 but 4 damage. The next time you play a Ragefire, the damage of every Ragefire in your deck increases to 6, and so on and so forth. There are many more mechanics that only a fully digital TCG can offer.
· The Threshold system – Threshold is the mechanic used in HEX’s resource system, which links particular cards to the particular types of magic those cards represent. To play a card you must not only have the amount of Resource Points the card costs, you must also have met the card’s Threshold requirement. That requirement is shown in the upper left-hand corner of the card as small coloured dots below the Resource Point cost of the card.
· AI like a real player – Advanced, cutting edge AI will challenge players of all skill levels while still being accessible. Cryptozoic hired one of the most experienced TCG AI experts in the world to build the system from the ground up. In addition to the latest in TCG artificial intelligence, each opposing champion has a personality and approach to the game specific to that champion.
· The DOUBLE BACK feature – Flip your card and see its back, flip it again and see the DOUBLE BACK! Each double back features 3 card achievements (unlock them all to transform the card into an “extended art” version), a levelling bar (fill it to transform the card into a foil variant), a trophy case (earn trophies using the card in a tournament-winning deck), and other card-specific information.
· Tournaments for everyone – HEX will feature tournaments and events around the clock available worldwide. All the forms common to TCGs will be in the game. Tournaments already available at any time:
- Constructed (Swiss / Single elimination)
- Draft (Swiss / Single elimination)
- Sealed (Swiss / Single elimination)
All the tournaments are designed for eight players, but there are also tournaments for up to 128 players!
- Constructed (Swiss)
- Sealed (Swiss)
For the future, Cryptozoic plans to release VIP Tournaments. Here up to 1024 players have the chance to win insane prizes once every month.
What’s to come in the near future
· The Mix of MMO, TCG and PvE – HEX: Shards of Fate will feature a huge PvE component. As in many other MMOs, you have a character, equipment, levels, talents etc. – but still as a card game! Even cards will get special equipment (also of different rarities) which can greatly improve them or even change their whole mechanic.
· Create a unique champion – HEX offers the possibility of creating personalised champions. Players are able to customise their champion with talents, gear, and game-altering abilities that revolutionise the Trading Card Game. They can choose from many different races and also genders.
And much more …
With a portfolio of more than 20 titles and over 450 million registered players, Gameforge is the leading provider of free-to-play massively multiplayer online games (MMOs) in the western hemisphere. Headquartered in Karlsruhe, Germany, the group offers its online games in more than 75 countries. Its portfolio includes client-based games such as the award winning AION, TERA: Rising, Metin2 – Europe’s most successful MMO – HEX: Shards of Fate, Orcs Must Die! Unchained, Sigils: Battle for Raios, Runes of Magic, Elsword and Wizard101. Plus browser-based games such as the ever popular classics OGame and Ikariam as well as a growing portfolio of mobile games. Gameforge employs 450 members of staff. For more information please visit: http://corporate.gameforge.com/.
Founded in 2010, Cryptozoic Entertainment, Inc. is a premier developer and publisher of original and licensed board games, card games, comics and trading cards, including the World of Warcraft® Trading Game, Food Fight and The Walking Dead™ Board Game. Following a philosophy and core principle of "Fans First," the dedicated gamers and fans of the Cryptozoic Entertainment team are focused on producing fun and amazing products that bring all gaming fans together as part of the Cryptozoic community. More information can be found at www.cryptozoic.com.