PSY Becomes Playable Character in Crossy Road's New
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA and BEIJING, CHINA and SEOUL, KOREA (June 25, 2015) – Yodo1, a leading global publisher of mobile games, together with Australian game developer Hipster Whale, today released an update to the hit game Crossy Road that features ten new Korean pop culture characters, including global pop-star PSY, and an all new Korean game mode. Available now for iOS and Google Play, players are challenged to dance across traffic, stepping on dance pads that light up and play music similar to his popular video which has been viewed more than 2 billion times on YouTube.
The update is now available as a free download and as a free update to existing users.
The classic Psy character is available as an in-app purchase for $2.99 for iOS, Android and Windows Phones, and will be available for purchase for three months (until September 25, 2015). Once purchased the character is available to play forever.
"This is our biggest and best update yet," said Andy Sum, co-founder of Hipster Whale. "Korea is one of the countries where Crossy Road has been the most popular - in fact it hit #1 in South Korea first - so we wanted to make something really special for our fans there, as a thank you for playing our game. We've spent a lot of time researching all different aspects of Korean culture for this update - even traveling there - to ensure we had the most relevant content."
PSY’s appearance in Crossy Road is the latest integration of a real life pop star in mobile gaming. Yodo1 is working with other global brands to integrate their own IP into other co-produced games.
"We reached out to Psy, the most internationally well known Korean, to see if he would like to become a part of Crossy Road, and we're really happy with the way his character and the entire integration turned out," added Henry Fong, co-founder and CEO of Yodo1.
· New game mode inspired by Korean popular culture with ten new characters and game modes to explore, including: Psy, Korean Chicken, Jindo Dog, Taekwondo Master, Pro Gamer, Korean Drummer, Korean BBQ, Kimchi, K-Drama Actor and Seonbi.
· New game mode background represents Gangnam district and subway station in downtown Seoul and appeals to K-pop fans around the world with new music, sounds and lights as well as Psy's voice-overs, dance moves and likeness.
· New scoring system designed for the Psy game mode. Play as Psy and earn bonus points for staying on the dance floor.
· Support for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV to play Crossy Road on the big screen.
Download the Crossy Road Korean update for iOs and Android platforms here:
· Apple App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crossy-road-endless-arcade/id924373886?mt=8
· Amazon Appstore: http://www.amazon.com/Hipster-Whale-Crossy-Road/dp/B00QW8TYWO
The Korean update will be available for Windows Phone in two to three weeks and can be downloaded here:
Crossy Road now counts over 90 million players on iOS, Google Play, Amazon and Windows Phone stores around the world. Since its launch in November 2014, the game has remained popular in dozens of countries, including the US, UK, Canada, China, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and throughout Europe.
Yodo1 is a leading publisher and co-developer of smash hit indie games, and is dedicated to bringing them massive worldwide audiences without compromising their indie spirit. Founded and led by veterans from Microsoft, Disney Interactive, Sony, Electronic Arts, and Activision, Yodo1 combines this industry background with its deep experience with Free to Play gaming markets to help indie developers create successful games that are loved around the world. Yodo1 is based in Beijing with a presence in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seoul, Tokyo, Nanjing, and Shanghai. For more information, please visit www.yodo1.com and follow Yodo1 on Twitter @yodo1.
About Hipster Whale
Founded in 2014 and based in Australia, Hipster Whale is led by Matt Hall and Andy Sum. Crossy Road was co-developed remotely by Matt and Andy, who met in 2013 at a game developer conference. This is the duo's first mobile game together. The "endless hopper" for iOS and Android was a 2014 Game of the Year finalist in the Australian Game Developer Awards and won a 2015 Apple Design Award. The game has been downloaded more than 90 million times across platforms since its November '14 launch. Learn more about Hipster Whale's unique story at www.crossyroad.com .
Download thee media kit here, including:
- Behind the scenes videos of Psy recording voice overs for Crossy Road
- Images of new characters in the Korean update
- Audio files of music and sounds designed especially for Psy game mode
Karen Blondell for Yodo1 (Los Angeles)
+1 424 263 7371
Lauren Clinnick for Hipster Whale (Australia)
+61 439 579 739