“Tittytainment - A form of lowest common denominator entertainment designed to appeal to the masses and refrain people from thinking.”
The word Tittytainment is formed based on the blend of tit + entertainment, in reference to the pacifying effect of watching TV, similar to that of a child sucking on its mother's breast. The word "tittytainment" was coined for the first time in 1995 by the neo-liberal ideologue Zbigniew Brzezinski during the conclusion of the first "State of the World Forum". The objective was to determine the state of the world, suggest desirable objectives and to establish global politics to match them. The attendees to this meeting arrived at the conclusion that a 20:80 society is inevitable, implying that 20% of the world population would be sufficient to sustain the world economy, while the other 80% would be without work or opportunities, nourishing a growing frustration. This term was coined in 1995, before the prevalence of the internet, before the time when TMT companies stretched its digital tentacles to the most remote corners of the earth, and before the looming rise of AI & robots that will likely replace many of the functions performed by humans today. So what do the 80%+ (or 90%+) of the people do with all this time, the unwelcomed yet potential reality is the rise of Tittytainment.
This scope of this topic covers more than just mobile games, or even games for that matter, but it is one in which the rising mobile games market will have a significant role to play. Before I begin, due to the sensitive nature of this topic, there are bound to be disagreements and areas in which some readers may find offensive, and I apologize for that. This topic will be discussed in 3 sections:
Part 1: China's Landscape:
True story, I knew someone whose family owned an old hutong courtyard in a prime location in Beijing, the family was offered a hefty sum (presumably tens or hundreds of millions RMB) by the government to reclaim the land for new infrastructures. This person still holds a job, but says that the goal is simply to earn enough to sufficiently support the game spending habits.
Part 2: Types of Tittytainment
Online Entertainment costs the same, why tittytainment prevails? – Going back on the point of the growing income gap, and how it may be cheaper to indulge in online entertainment, let's briefly take a look at how the different forms of entertainment are structured and how it affects people's spending:
Now, I do have to emphasize that games and online videos are not mindless entertainment, because there is always something that you can learn from them, and everyone needs something less intensive for their minds to relax. But I do believe that there is more to be gained from reading a book or other forms of entertainment that does not take up an overwhelming bulk of a person's free time. Balance is key.
Part 3: Future Development
The future is not all bleak and the government isn't trying to use entertainment to suppress individual thinking or distract people from noticing their own problems to create an Orwellian future, in fact it is actually doing the opposite.
"We will provide more and better online content and put in place a system for integrated internet management to ensure a clean cyberspace"
Though this does not emphasize on any particular area or strategy, it does show that the government hopes of provide better online content, rather than just mindless entertainment. However, of course the word ‘better' can be interpreted differently.
In addition, a country is not walled off from the rest of the world; there is an inherent competition against other countries, to have the better economy, have the better military, to advance faster than other countries, and with this, you cannot just have a society of mindless robots. The less innovative talents a country has, the slower it develops. Thus I believe that a disordered society has more to gain from employing such a tool, while an organized and rapidly developing society has more to gain from downplaying this effect.
In conclusion, tittytainment and games, is a necessary part of society. Like cigarettes, despite the numerous researches that link it as a cause of cancer, it still remains a widely available product today in part due to the significant tax income, tittytainment is also in part a necessary tool to satisfy the needs of the masses and manage society. How will this develop, this will largely be driven by government policies as well as the voices of the people, though it is certain that games will have an important role to play.
Sources: People.cn, Sixthtone, Payscale, Fortune, Xinhua and various other google searches
If the China mobile gaming market may be something of interest to you, whether you are a developer, in operations, marketing etc. join the LinkedIn Group "Mobile Gaming - China" for more relevant posts in the future and a place to meet other like minded individuals