The following blog post, unless otherwise noted, was written by a member of Gamasutras community.
The thoughts and opinions expressed are those of the writer and not Gamasutra or its parent company.
This article is a re-post of the original text on my personal blog.
Well, no one in video games industry needs introduction about Electronic Arts (EA) or its crown jewel FIFA Franchise.
Having spent a major part of my professional career in this industry, keeping track of market trends and anticipating key changes has always been a part & parcel of my role as well as one of the self-induced hobbies I have.
Here are some of the key things which we can expect in the upcoming release FIFA 20. Don’t forget to take these with a huge grain of salt and also, these are my personal opinions ;)
Prediction #1: More Game Modes
- With shorter duration comprising of intense gameplay
- Ensures less dependency on FUT mode
Prediction #2: Introducing “Royale”
- Current offerings in FIFA 19 (Survival, First To, No Rules game modes) indicate a plausible evidence on why the Sports leader who always strive to be more realistic with each passing release could come up with its own “Battle Royale” version
- Recent tease of Battlefield V on adopting “Battle Royale” confirms EA’s interest to join the band wagon and make advantage of the market trend, while it’s still hot
- Users are more interested in entering the realms of “fictitious” spaces and Sports genre could be no exception either; Time will only tell!
Prediction #3: Female Centric FIFA
- Sports games (in which EA FIFA is a leader) are majorly “male” oriented (~85% of user base) which means there is a huge window of opportunity for EA to re-focus its efforts to make FIFA 20 more appealing towards potential “female” audience
- FIFA 16 introduced female atheletes to the football world in video games; It’s been a while since any major improvement has been done post that
- Even if this isn’t fulfilled in FIFA 20, subsequent releases could cater in this area (remember the grain of salt I was talking about :| )
Prediction #4: Sales & Full Digital Baptism
- It is arguable whether FIFA 19 has lived/surpassed the potential of FIFA 18 as a significant portion of fan base has got love-hate relationship with this franchise among other things
- Based on historical sale trends and the current market volatile nature, I’d say the range of sales could be around 25 Mil (worst-case scenario) to 35+ Mil (with heavy boost from Marketing and anticipated success from Apex Legends)
- Going fully digital with FIFA 20? I doubt so, as EA’s Origin is yet to reach full potential and this move might not be taken lightly, especially from APAC customers
So, that’s all for now. Have a great week ahead and remember to stay Happy :)
Next Covered Topics: “Has EA’s FIFA Mobile reached its full potential yet?”
P.S. For those who’d like to discuss more, feel free to add/follow me. Here’s my LinkedIn profile: Rajeev Varma
Personal Blog: NVDRajeev.wordpress.com