Gamasutra is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.


Gamasutra: The Art & Business of Making Gamesspacer
View All     RSS
August 22, 2019
arrowPress Releases







If you enjoy reading this site, you might also want to check out these UBM Tech sites:


Chinese Online Games Market To Reach $8.9 Billion By 2013

Chinese Online Games Market To Reach $8.9 Billion By 2013

May 5, 2009 | By Leigh Alexander




Online gaming in China saw a 61 percent revenue increase in 2008, buoyed by a 26 percent increase in gamers who are spending more, says a new study from research firm Niko Partners.

Niko Partners' new report, whose results largely concur with a similar one recently published by Pearl Research, says China saw $2.75 billion in revenue from online games in 2008. Particularly, online games in the region continue to thrive on the culture of internet cafes, of which China has 170,000 for a total of 23 million PCs.

Most of the revenue in 2008 -- 77 percent -- came from MMOs, with the remaining 23 percent accounted for by casual games, a segment that's seeing expansion thanks to the rise of social networking sites and web games.

Console sales are still climbing, notes the report -- although they're entirely illegal.

There's room for further growth, according to the firm: The Chinese online game market will reach $3.8 billion this year, and is expecting to grow at about 26.4 percent a year for the next five years -- and will show revenues of $8.9 billion in 2013.

"Niko’s conclusion is that China’s online market has plenty of room for growth in the next five years, and much of that growth will come from beyond the major metropolises where the number of Internet cafes, home PC penetration and Internet usage are all on the rise," says managing partner Lisa Cosmas Hanson.


Related Jobs

Cold Iron Studios
Cold Iron Studios — San Jose, California, United States
[08.21.19]

Senior Systems Designer
Wizards of the Coast
Wizards of the Coast — Renton, Washington, United States
[08.21.19]

Sr Lead Software Engineer - Arena
Cold Iron Studios
Cold Iron Studios — San Jose, California, United States
[08.21.19]

Sr. Producer
Cold Iron Studios
Cold Iron Studios — San Jose, California, United States
[08.21.19]

Lead Character Artist









Loading Comments

loader image