The first deadline for Dr. Dobbs Challenge Deuce
, a game competition from the world-renowned Dr. Dobb's website for software developers and Microsoft's Visual Studio, is April 6.
While the main challenge, to use Microsoft Visual Studio to code a mod of the Silverlight-based Dr. Dobbs Challenge game, ends June 12, 2009, creators can upload their custom mods for the Race-to-the-Finish Challenge by April 6 to attempt to win $1,000 by competing against other early finishers.
Furthermore, on a monthly basis, anyone can use their web browser and an in-game level editor to make user-created levels for the Dr. Dobbs game, with each month's winner receiving a $500 prize (the next deadline is April 30) and weekly winners getting a Dr. Dobbs bobblehead.
Examples of popular and fun user-submitted levels can be found on the official Dobbs Challenge Deuce weblog
The base game, co-created by game developer Adam Saltsman of Semi Secret Software (Wurdle
for iPhone, Gravity Hook
), builds on the success of the original Dobbís Challenge game competition which debuted in March 2008.
The Dr. Dobbs Challenge Deuce once again gives away almost $10,000, but switches things up by going in-browser. As one of the most advanced uses of Microsoft Silverlight technology to date, it allows full in-browser game play of an addictive platform title, again starring Dr. Dobbs and the machinima characters.
All of the mod competition categories (open to coders and artists worldwide, with the results to be available on the Dr Dobbs Challenge website) are as follows:
- The Dobbs Race-To-The-Finish Challenge ($1,000) - Produce the best modded game (of any kind) in half the length of the competition.
- Best Game ($2,000) - Produce the best modded game (of any kind) across the whole challenge.
- Best One Button Game ($1,000) - Produce the best game that uses only one button for input.
- Best Game Starring Dr. Dobb And The Defy All Challenges Crew ($1,000) - Produce the best game that still stars the Dr. Dobb and The Defy All Challenges Crew (though these characters can be redrawn or otherwise used in any way in the title.)
- Best Total Conversion ($1,000) - Produce the best game that is completely different from the original Dr. Dobbs Challenge -- i.e. uses no design aspects or assets other than the use of Visual Studio icons.
The deadline for Dr. Dobbs Challenge Deuce is June 12th, 2009, and the deadline for Dr. Dobbs Race-To-The-Finish Challenge is April 6th, 2009. Full information, including rules, source code, and the in-browser game, is available at the official Dr. Dobbs Challenge website