The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Austin, Texas
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms.
Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Purpose/Summary: Individual contributor that develops, writes and debugs code for video game software and tools with a specific focus on gameplay programming for player, camera, gimmicks and various other game-play systems as required.
- Designs, develops, writes, tests, and implements shaders in HLSL and GLSL
- Implements and researches advanced lighting techniques both for precomputed and real-time rendering
- Works with visual effects artists to research and implement new advanced visual effects methodologies
- Works directly with Environment, Character, and Technical Artists to implement new stylized rendering techniques
- Implements surface parameterization and texture atlasing for efficient use in real-time rendering
- Generally responsible for larger systems with others contributing
- Documents and gathers requirements from users for software to be implemented
- Documents and trains other engineers and content creators on the use of system for which he has responsibility
- Works with other engineers to formulate solutions to problems that either he or they may implement
- Identifies and proposes solutions on long-term scale – participates in road-map development
- Participates in providing feedback for the work of other Engineers
- Establishes domain expertise in two or more specializations
This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
- Strong understanding of visual perception and physics
- Experience with Image Processing techniques, including statistical analysis
- Prior experience writing code for video games required
- 5+ years’ experience
- Effective organization, analytical and problem solving skills
- Proficiency with 3D graphics techniques and algorithms and their applications in computer simulation and video game software
- Understanding of core systems such as memory allocators and file systems
- Background in object-oriented design and software engineering methodologies
- Industrial experience in programming languages, such as C/C++, C#
- Strong math and physics skills
- Experience with particle rendering and techniques a plus
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field required, or specific experience video game programming.
We are an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans…valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.
Interested? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.