The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Double Fine Productions is currently looking for a highly experienced Lead Animator for its San Francisco development studio. The primary job responsibilities include the creation of in-game animations and cinematics that convey charm and personality as well as managing a team of animators.
The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of experience creating and implementing video game animation, and at least 2 years in a Lead Animator role on a published console or PC title.
Knowledge of the fundamentals of animation is critical, as is the ability to give and accept feedback and work well with a team of animators, producers, and programmers. The ideal candidate has a strong preference for working in a highly creative, innovative, small development environment.
- Use Maya to create player driven keyframe character animation move sets, npc interaction animation as well as real-time cinematics.
- Work with the technical team to ensure animation assets are properly integrated into the game.
- Establish animation workflows and best practices for the rest of the animation team.
- Work with the Technical Directors to ensure the animators have the needed tools for efficient workflow.
- Work closely with the Project Lead, design team, and Art Director to maintain a consistent vision.
- Setup and run animation weeklies and give animation critiques to the team.
- Help to mentor and support a team of senior and junior animators.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas for the betterment of the entire game.
- Work closely with the project Producer on scheduling and tasking the animation team.
- Work with animation outsourcing teams as needed, and prepare assets for those teams as well as giving feedback.
- At least 5 years of game industry experience, or equivalent experience in film or television.
- At least 2 years of experience in the Lead Animator role on a published console or PC game.
- Fluency with Maya for character animation. Modeling and rigging skills are a plus.
- A strong artistic background, with examples of life drawing and an innate ability for storytelling.
- Experience working with a design team on player driven animation move sets.
- Experience translating 2d animatics to 3d layouts including camera work.
- Self-driven individual with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to accept critiques, and the ability to embrace change.
- Thorough understanding of animation theory and the principles of animation (squash and stretch, timing, anticipation, staging, appeal, etc.)
- Exceptional skill in animating bipeds and multi-legged figures, in both action and dramatic acting sequences using keyframe animation
- Must be able to work full time in San Francisco, CA.
- Avid gamer with a passion for creating top-quality games.
- Experience working with the Unreal 4 animation pipeline.
- Experience working on a 2d or 3d platforming title.
- Familiarity with film and video script and direction terminology.
- Acting and cinematography skills.
- Experience in Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects.
Due to the immediate nature of this position and current government employment-visa sponsorship restrictions, we are unable to consider foreign candidates.
Interested? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.