Gamasutra is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.


Gamasutra: The Art & Business of Making Gamesspacer
View All     RSS
October 27, 2020
arrowPress Releases







If you enjoy reading this site, you might also want to check out these UBM Tech sites:


RockYou, Facebook Sign Five-Year Agreement For Credits

RockYou, Facebook Sign Five-Year Agreement For Credits

July 23, 2010 | By Eric Caoili

July 23, 2010 | By Eric Caoili
Comments
    Post A Comment
More: Console/PC



Social game and app developer RockYou has entered into a five-year agreement with Facebook to exclusively use Credits, the social network's universal virtual currency system, in its titles.

RockYou joins several other studios that have agreed to only use Facebook credits in their games, such as LOLapps (Band of Heroes) and CrowdStar (Happy Aquarium), with the latter also signing a similar five-year deal with the site.

Facebook's system allows players to acquire virtual currency that they can spend in any app or game that supports Credits, offering a more portable digital cash option than the numerous game- or publisher-specific virtual currencies that many titles employ.

This isn't the first time RockYou has worked with the social network on its Credits system -- earlier this year, the developer ran an advertiser-sponsored "Deal of the Day" program that rewarded more than 1 million users with Credits in just four days when those players interacted with in-game ads.

The Redwood City-based startup has issued more than 5 million Credits in its most popular game, Zoo World, alone through direct payments and ad offers that allow users to earn virtual currency. Facebook adds that it's worked closely with RockYou to develop and evolve its Credits system, too.

As with other developers, RockYou will receive 70 percent of the revenue generated from Credits, while Facebook pockets the remaining 30 percent. The social network says it will put that all of that cash toward lubricating its virtual economy through ad offers, prepaid cards, and other opportunities for seeding Credits to users.

"Facebook is showing a long-term commitment to social gaming -- and that's very exciting," says RockYou's chief revenue officer Lisa Marino. "We look forward to continue working with Facebook and Facebook Credits. As users adopt Credits, there may be a great opportunity for us to increase revenue from both a virtual goods and advertising perspective."


Related Jobs

Deep Silver Volition
Deep Silver Volition — Champaign, Illinois, United States
[10.26.20]

Narrative Designer
Deep Silver Volition
Deep Silver Volition — Champaign, Illinois, United States
[10.26.20]

Project Manager
Insomniac Games
Insomniac Games — Burbank, California, United States
[10.25.20]

Lead Gameplay Programmer
Insomniac Games
Insomniac Games — Burbank, California, United States
[10.25.20]

Graphics Programmer









Loading Comments

loader image