The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Westwood, Massachusetts
Our mission is simple: to create immersive, story-driven video games for people who love games that ask something of them.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Ghost Story Games (formerly known as Irrational Games), best known for the BioShock franchise, is seeking a highly experienced and talented Senior Programmer. In this role, you are directly responsible for creating efficient and effective code in support of our development and QA teams with a focus on QA automation & tools and game analytics. In this role, you will also be responsible for additional programming support, which may include general gameplay features, tools, graphics and rendering or other engine technologies.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The opportunity to work on a creatively ambitious project in the immersive sim genre.
- A world-class team. We are proud to be home to some of the most talented, smartest, nicest and hardest-working colleagues. We make mistakes sometimes, but we help each other by finding mistakes early and depending on each other to fix them quickly.
- We are a core development team of just under 30 people and work closely with specialist outsource groups and contractors when necessary.
- Open Communication: Our team members are welcome to join any meeting, and we have a flat structure. Do you have a question or a concern? Just walk up to anyone and ask! Team-based decision making is important to us, regardless of your position – every opinion counts and is considered.
- Flexible Hours: We understand that sometimes people need to juggle work and family life, so we have flexible work hours and a support structure that allows people to work from home if needed. Every Friday is a default WFH day for us, so no meetings planned that day!
- The Space: We love our studio space and all the comfortable perks that come with it, such as a fully stocked kitchen (drinks, fruit, snacks, breakfast food), plenty of shops, restaurants and (urgent care) services within walking distance, a game room, a quiet room, outdoor deck, free parking, public transportation connections including the Amtrak train into Boston + NY and maybe, just maybe, we have a bathysphere whiskey bar.
- Free Merchandise: Every new employee is welcomed with an onboarding swag package to make sure they blend right in. Additionally, each of our team members can expect to receive a new merchandise item every time one goes live in our fan store. For fans of other Take-Two studios, there is a discounted employee store where you can find the latest games and swag from our sister studios.
- On-Site Support: Our world-class IT and Operations teams make sure that you get what you need to do what you do best. They keep us working, fed, hydrated and happy. Full team-catered lunches for new employee welcomes or significant team meetings? Receiving your online shopping orders? Getting you an aspirin when needed? They have your back!
Great Place to Work® has certified our workplace culture. At Ghost Story Games, 96 percent of employees say their workplace is great, which ties us for first spot in the games industry.
- Support high quality and robust game features and systems, by gathering requirements, designing solutions, implementing efficient code, testing and debugging.
- Implementing automation and other tools to streamline the QA process for a highly systemic game.
- Support build automation processes as needed.
- Support analytics backend development as needed.
- Participate on development of low level systems like streaming, generic serialization, entity system and more.
- Participate in group collaboration and utilize engineering best practices, such as code reviews.
- Work with all departments to ensure we are using the most effective & efficient systems and tools needed to realize the vision of the game
- Create efficient, scalable, optimized code while working with 3rd party libraries and tools.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years of experience in the game industry.
- Has shipped at least one highly rated PC game (Metacritic rating of 85+)
- Have architected (or significantly improved) build systems and systemic QA tools
- Candidates with graphics and rendering experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with C/C++ and C# skills.
- Experience programming with Unreal 4 is a strong requirement.
- Ability to quickly understand existing code and enhance/extend an existing architecture.
- Experience with Perforce.
- Ability to research, analyze and optimize code to meet performance requirements.
- Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines.
- Self-motivated toward solving problems.
- Must be eligible to work in the US and willing to relocate to Boston.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with development of FPS/action/RPG/strategy/immersive sim titles.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Commitment to code quality, documentation and thorough testing procedures.
- Passion for narrative first-person shooters a plus.
- Experience working with outsourcing a plus.
WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION
Please have played or at least be familiar with our legacy games, System Shock 2, BioShock, and BioShock Infinite.
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.