Gamasutra is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Gamasutra: The Art & Business of Making Gamesspacer
View All     RSS
April 19, 2021
arrowPress Releases

If you enjoy reading this site, you might also want to check out these UBM Tech sites:

THQ Nordic acquires Coffee Stain and Bugbear Entertainment

THQ Nordic acquires Coffee Stain and Bugbear Entertainment

November 14, 2018 | By Chris Kerr

THQ Nordic has agreed to acquire Coffee Stain Studios and Bugbear Entertainment in two separate deals. 

The company will purchase 100 percent of Goat Simulator developer-publisher Coffee Stain for 317 million SEK ($34.9 million), and could pay out even more if the studio hits certain pre-agreed milestones. 

Coffee Stain will continue to operate independently post-acquisition, with Anton Westbergh retaining his position of CEO. 

Moving forward, the studio will attempt to help THQ strengthen its publishing position in the Nordic territories while also continuing to develop new titles geared towards the digital and multiplayer markets. 

As for Bugbear, THQ has bought 90 percent of the Helsinki-based Wreckfest developer for an undisclosed fee, and has the option to pick up the remaining 10 percent further down the line. 

The company explained it "strongly believes in Bugbear's competence in developing successful action racing games," and wanted to make a long-term investment to support the studio's future growth and turn Wreckfest into a major franchise. 

The move is THQ Nordic's first step into the Finnish market, and the company claims it foresees more "strategic investments" in the future. 

Both deals are the latest in a long-line of purchases for THQ, which recently grabbed the rights to notable franchises including Alone in the Dark, Act of War, Timesplitters, and Kingdoms of Amalur.

Related Jobs

Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts
Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts — Lincoln, Nebraska, United States

Assistant Professor of Emerging Media Arts (Virtual Production)
Airship Syndicate
Airship Syndicate — Austin, Texas, United States

Square Enix Co., Ltd.
Square Enix Co., Ltd. — Tokyo, Japan

Experienced Game Developer
Sony PlayStation
Sony PlayStation — San Francisco, California, United States

Sr. Product Manager, Player Engagement & Social Experiences

Loading Comments

loader image