Gamasutra is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.


Gamasutra: The Art & Business of Making Gamesspacer
View All     RSS
November 18, 2019
arrowPress Releases







If you enjoy reading this site, you might also want to check out these UBM Tech sites:


Vivendi Starts Mobile Phone Gaming Division

Vivendi Starts Mobile Phone Gaming Division

March 3, 2006 | By Nich Maragos

March 3, 2006 | By Nich Maragos
Comments
    Post A Comment
More:



In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, VU Games executive Paul Maglione has spoken for the first time about the new mobile gaming division of Vivendi that he will lead as its president. The branch will be called Vivendi Universal Games Mobile and will release mobile games based on both licensed content as well as Vivendi's original IP.

"VUG is becoming increasingly interested in high-growth areas like MMOGs and online, and that, of course, includes mobile," said Maglione. "Besides, these last five years, our mother company has become extremely keen on mobile across all our divisions -- not just with VUG but also SFR, which is one of the leading European wireless network carriers; Universal Music, which is the most active music company in mobile music; and the Canal+ Group, which is doing a lot of things in mobile TV. So there's a wider corporate focus on mobile which fits VUG very nicely."

"Only about 40%" of the VUG Mobile titles will be developed externally, according to Maglione, "the other 60% are being done in-house. And we'll probably stick to that ratio going forward. VUG already has a very well-developed internal studio, an excellent proprietary porting technology, and a very innovative group of folks. In addition, we're talking to at least three or four outside studios, but I'm not at liberty to disclose those yet because those aren't signed deals."

Maglione also predicted a shift in game promotion from the cellular carriers to the game publishers themselves. "There won't be a managed deck but a deck that relies on a search function. The result is that the publisher will manage their own inventory, not the carrier. It's a win-win situation because, I think, the carriers simply don't want to invest the amount of resources necessary to manage such a detailed operation."

The full interview, including Maglione's comments on EA's purchase of Jamdat Mobile and the costs of porting games, is available at the Hollywood Reporter website.


Related Jobs

School of Design and Creative Technologies at The University of Texas at Austin
School of Design and Creative Technologies at The University of Texas at Austin — Austin, Texas, United States
[11.18.19]

Chair of the Department of Arts and Entertainment Technologies
iGotcha Studios
iGotcha Studios — Stockholm, Sweden
[11.18.19]

Senior Game Designer
Square Enix Co., Ltd.
Square Enix Co., Ltd. — Tokyo, Japan
[11.17.19]

Experienced Game Developer
Bit Fry Game Studios, Inc.
Bit Fry Game Studios, Inc. — Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States
[11.16.19]

Gameplay Engineer









Loading Comments

loader image