This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
Abbey Games reveals first glimpse of their new god game, Godhood
Utrecht, the Netherlands - July 31, 2018 - The Dutch independent studio Abbey Games has today revealed the first details of their new title, the strategy god game Godhood. Set to be released for PC in 2019, Godhood takes place in a vibrant, primal world where players take on the role as a newborn deity to create and grow their own religion by careful management of their followers, while also challenging the other gods that stand in their way.
The first teaser trailer for Godhood can be viewed here.
In Godhood, players are invited to create their own religion by tending to their flock of disciples as a young god. Set in ancient lands and viewed from an isometric perspective, the player’s followers cannot be directly controlled, only guided in growing their religion across the ages. From selecting different virtues and vices to building monuments and nurturing powerful prophets, the options available to newborn gods, to shape and lead, will be plentiful. Conflict is inevitable, and through ritual combat, players will be able to challenge rival deities and their followers would dare to contest their claim to power and glory.
Some of the features that make Godhood:
● Create a religion. Players define what is important for their followers, selecting virtues and vices, and guiding them in how they must live and what rituals they should undertake. A few will rise to become powerful prophets who can help train future generations.
● Nurture and guide followers. Control of a player’s disciples can only be enacted from afar, but guiding the followers, deciding what rituals to enact or which monument to build, managing abilities and powers, will all be key to a prosperous society.
● Ritual Combat. Other deities and religions vie for power and influence, and players need to face rival gods and their followers in ritual combat. Known as ‘Sacraments’, player’s followers will need to prove their worth through the use of awe, persuasion or brute force.
● Colourful art style. Charming visuals with bright, hand-drawn-like qualities depict the new and unknown world of Godhood in a lush, isometric perspective.
● Replayability. Powered by a deep simulation system, Godhood allows players to experiment with dozens of different religious combinations unlocking new secrets as they progress along a main story line filled with battles, rituals and challenging side quests.
Assets can be found in our dedicated press room.
About Abbey Games
Abbey Games is an independent games studio founded in 2012 and situated in Utrecht, the Netherlands. They devote themselves to creating games full of original and meaningful gameplay, drawing inspiration from classics of the strategy and management genre. Their first title, god game Reus, was released in May 2013 and quickly became a success, having sold over 1,000,000 copies. The next game was the turn-based strategy adventure Renowned Explorers which was released 2015, followed by frequent expansion packs for this popular title. Abbey Games’ latest project is Godhood, a vibrant god game tasking players to create and grow their own religion, which is set to release in 2019.
ICO Partners for Abbey Games