[This unedited press release is made available courtesy of Gamasutra and its partnership with notable game PR-related resource Games Press.]
12 June 2021, Winston-Salem, USA - The uplifting game curation community Wholesome Games today premiered their flagship showcase, Wholesome Direct. The event featured notable surprises like the launch of Alekon and Beasts of Maravilla Island, the announcement of Passpartout 2: The Lost Artist, and content updates, release dates, and gameplay from titles like Ooblets, Yokai Inn, The Gecko Gods, and many more.
To view the Wholesome Direct video in its entirety, visit www.wholesomegames.com. Some of the highlights revealed in today's presentation include:
The Wholesome Direct presentation featured over 75 games in all, including Fossil Corner and Clawfish, which also launched alongside their appearances in the show. It also included Venba, Behind the Frame, Dordogne, Paralives, and We Are OFK.
- Bird Problems from Lithic Entertainment: A one-of-a-kind sitcom narrative game about an awkward and anxious canary trying to make friends and drink cold drinks. Wholesome Direct viewers were treated to the first official announcement trailer.
- by The Alekon Company: Photograph dozens of whimsical creatures, solving puzzles to get them to strike collectable poses! Then befriend them through unique quests and minigames, from snowflake design, to tuning and playing crystal harps, to organizing parties! Alekon was released alongside its appearance in Wholesome Direct and is available now.
- by Bluecurse Studios: Former big city kitties Momo and Mikan are starting a new life! Grow crops, raise fluffy cows, go fishing, exploring, customize and decorate as you please, and much, much more. The makers of Snacko revealed a new release window as well as plans to launch on Nintendo Switch.
- by Glumberland: The creature collection and life-sim game where you build up your farm, befriend townsfolk, grow ooblets, and have dance-offs, released the major 0.8 Port Forward content update alongside Wholesome Direct.
- by Gamious: It's 1986 - Meredith Weiss takes a break from her career in the big city to deliver mail in her hometown. How will she experience two weeks in beautiful Providence Oaks, with its iconic lake and quirky community, and what will she do next? Lake's release date was revealed alongside a brand new trailer.
- Yokai Inn by ShibaPixels: A slice-of-life game in which players befriend spirits, farm, fish, cook, craft, and more in order to grow and expand their inn. Yokai Inn debuted its first-ever trailer at Wholesome Direct.
- Beasts of Maravilla Island by Banana Bird Studios: Take on the role of a young wildlife photographer who traverses Maravilla Island to discover extraordinary creatures, learn their behaviors, and, most importantly, photograph their majesty. Beasts of Maravilla Island was surprise-released during Wholesome Direct for Switch and PC.
- by Skrollcat Studio: Hoa is a beautiful puzzle-platformer that features breathtaking hand-painted art, lovely music, and a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. The makers of Hoa debuted footage of a new level and revealed the game's release date during Wholesome Direct.
- The Gecko Gods by Inresin: Explore a mysterious island as a tiny lizard. Complete ancient puzzles, effortlessly climb cliffs, and eat bugs as you make your way across an island civilization lost to time. The first official announcement trailer for The Gecko Gods debuted during Wholesome Direct.
- Passpartout 2: The Lost Artist by Flamebait Games: An exclusive game reveal, Wholesome Direct viewers were the first to learn of the sequel to Passpartout: The Starving Artist. Will your art end up in the Louvre or on your parents' fridge?
- Moonglow Bay by Bunnyhug: Play as a rookie angler, working together with friends, family, and neighbors to hone your fishing skills, nourish relationships, and restore a remote town’s fractured community. Wholesome Direct viewers got a first look at Moonglow Bay's friendship gameplay.
- by Moon Lagoon: The final game featured in Wholesome Direct, Loddlenaut is a pet sim set on a polluted ocean planet. Pick up litter, clean up coral, and tend to the loddles as you bring life back to your aquatic surroundings. Loddlenaut's first trailer debuted during Wholesome Direct as well as its simultaneous launch on Kickstarter.
For a complete list of games featured in Wholesome Direct 2021, visit WholesomeGames.com and follow @_wholesomegames on Twitter. For more assets, access the Wholesome Direct press kit.
About Wholesome Games and Wholesome Direct:
- Wholesome Games is a video game curation community with over 200,000 members. The community is best known for Wholesome Direct, a popular showcase of uplifting indie games.
- One of the goals of Wholesome Games is to change how we think about which games are taken seriously. For many years, the most critically acclaimed titles have been the ones with the darkest themes and grimmest depictions of life, but there's also a whole world of hopeful video games with rich storytelling, innovative gameplay, and beautiful art and sound. We want to be a part of showcasing the breadth of experiences that games can have for players.
- The first Wholesome Direct was created in 2020 in response to the cancellation of in-person game industry events like GDC. When Wholesome Games first announced an online alternative to physical events, it was met with an outpouring of support from players who said they wanted a showcase for uplifting games regardless of the status of other events. 2020's Wholesome Direct drew more than 140,000 viewers without a single partnership or ad spend and established Wholesome Games as an important voice in the online era of video game showcases.