[Every week GameSetWatch editor-in-chief Eric Caoili rounds up the latest news/media for obscure and offbeat games from Gamasutra's sister site and alternative video game blog.]
In this latest collection of links to mostly ignored games and gaming news, we cover a full-scale replica of Counterstrike's memorable de_dust map, an unearthed NES ROM for Dizzy
spinoff Dreamworld Pogie
, new videos for Rhythm Tengoku
Wii, and Japanese shmup magazine Shooting Gameside.
GameSetWatch's highlights from the last week:
Someone Wants To Build A Full-Scale Replica Of de_dust
- "One of the most played multiplayer stages in video game history, Counterstrike
's de_dust is an iconic first-person shooter map, re-created dozens of times by fans in other FPSes since. And now artist Aram Bartholl wants to build a 1:1 scale replica of the level, memorializing it with a concrete "art piece and museum."
Japanese Shmup Magazine Shooting Gameside Returns With New Volume
- "Fans of shoot'em ups and import gaming magazines, the second volume of Shooting Gameside has released! This issue offers 160 pages, 26 (!) of those devoted to a feature on Gradius
. The rest of the mag is full of previews, strategies, interviews (including one with Taito's in-house band Zuntata), and more for games like Crimzon Clover, Eschatos, Trouble Witches,
Unreleased Dizzy Spinoff Dreamworld Pogie Discovered for NES
- "Long considered lost to the ages (or to bit rot) Codemasters' unreleased Nintendo Entertainment System game Dreamworld Pogie
has at last surfaced as a downloadable prototype ROM image, reconstructed using source code found on a floppy disk by the YolkFolk.com community."
Give Swery Money for His Next Game, Dammit
- "Deadly Premonition
director Hidetaka Suehiro, aka "Swery65," wants very badly to make a new game but lacks the funding to do so. This is a crime. Publishers, it's time to sack up and throw some money at this man."
Details Behind Discarded Colossi Finally Revealed
- "Many have already seen assorted behind-the-scenes sketches for beasts that didn't make the cut in Shadow of the Colossus
, but few of us know what the story behind them is. Thus comes GlitterBerri to the rescue yet again! Last seen retranslating the script to Zelda 1
, her current project involves putting the Japanese words found in SotC
's official guidebook into English."
Rhythm Heaven Promises Multiplayer Karate, Biplane Badminton
- "Nintendo of Japan opened up a site for Rhythm Heaven
Wii, with the highlight thus far (it's a bit sparse at the moment; expect goodies in the not too distant future, including wallpaper and the such) being footage of some of its minigames in action."