In this reprint from the May 2013 issue of Game Developer magazine, developers release a new online game into the wild -- and descend into revision note hell.
- fixed localization text-wrap bug (nice try, Jeff)
- locking repo for final launch deploy!!!
- fixed polling ping-time bug in matching players across regions that might have caused small delays before game launches. There might have been a hiccup on launch day if we hadn't caught that... good job, QA
- finally the work we've been doing for the last three years is gonna pay off!
- relocking repo for final, final, final deploy
- come at me, bros!!
- emergency fix to address "Unable to Join" error
okay, this should address most of the launch volume issues that players have been experiencing:
- more error checking added to "Region Unavailable" crashes
- another fix for "Unable to Join" error seen by players in Pacific time zone due to a floating-point error reporting that the game doesn't actually unlock for 277 years (Jeff, I am looking at you very sternly right now)
- dynamically switch a region's hosted server if the ping is too long
- set available servers to the actual number of servers we have available (whoops, that's mine, haha)
rolling back change #2416
- removed rendering of all citizens' pants to decrease server sync load
- re-added pants. something about ESRB? whatever
- removed rendering trees instead
- disable high-level spells that use too many server-side particles (can't believe I just used the phrase "server-side particles"...JEFF!!!!)
- boost power of low-level spells to take the place of the spells we just removed
- add free spells for players so they aren't mad that we took away the high-level spells
- I did something else with spells that I forgot
- I would really like to go home
- Jeff is a smelly doofus
- HEY, did you know that APPARENTLY, to cast a spell in our game you have to query the player authentication database, query the player database, query the spell database, AND query the player action table?
- and did you know that if you're a mage, it does all those EVERY TIME you press the attack button?
- I am laughing and crying right now
- I don't know how to fix this
- I'm actually just crying
- reduced queue size and added ghost entries to buffer queuing more
- I'm not sure that's a thing. well, it's a thing now
- more queues, less syncs, god I don't even know
- come make games, they said. lots of fun, they said
- I have two degrees in computer science and am imagining the utter shame on my professor's face right now
- drifting, I'm just drifting through infinite black space
- I just wanted to make something fun that people would enjoy... did I ruin kids' childhoods? like, is this going to be a terrible memory that haunts them for the rest of their lives?
- it appears that I am out of whisky
- not sure what this commit is