The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Burbank, California
Insomniac Games is looking for Mid to Senior level Engine programmers for our Core Team. In this role, one would get to work with the team to design, add and modify features of both runtime and tools components of the engine. Other duties include designing, writing and modifying data and code with a heavy focus on real-time performance and usability. You would be expected to provide and help guide features which can be used in practice to create best-in-class contributions to our games. Read on if this is of interest!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and develop new engine technology for current and future games based on prioritized list of what other departments require
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Collaborate with others on the team to design and build architectures for new systems, and maintain and improve those of current systems
- Work proactively with Engine Director to identify technical and developmental risks and obstacles and helps generate solutions
- Work independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision
- Implement new functionality in engine.
- Design and implement efficient low-level systems to support higher-level programmers and pipelines
- Rewrite existing systems as directed for increased functionality, reduced memory usage, and increased performance
- Respond to bugs and feature requests related to engine code as directed
- Keep current with the technological developments and advancements in the computer game industry
- Revise program for corrections, enhancements, or system environment changes
- Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs
- Complete processor-specific optimization tasks
- Develop familiarity with hardware details of specific game platforms, their capabilities and performance bottlenecks
- Analyze code performance
- Work with debugging software on specific game platforms
- Document technology implementation details
- Potentially advise and mentor other programmers, and provide technical leadership in areas of specialization and assist other engineers with technical questions (both inside and outside the Engine department)
- Other duties may be assigned
This position is required to advise and mentor other programmers (both inside and outside the Engine department) within their specific areas of expertise if at a senior programmer level.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent; or seven plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced C, C++, and assembly/microcode programming (various CPU cores).
- Strong grasp of mathematical concepts, graphics, collision detection, data transformation, database management and advanced programming techniques.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
- Ability to work with various content creation and analytical tools such as Microsoft PIX and RAD Telemetry.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply directly to the role. We are looking for both mid and senior level candidates and we look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.