The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia or Remote
Rogue Harbour, a veteran mobile game development and publishing team, is seeking a full-time Game Economy Designer to work on an idle/RPG title. The economy is integral to game success in this genre, so the successful candidate should have a wealth of experience and a successful track record in balancing economy-driven games.
It is essential that all economic decisions and iterations are data driven. Ideally, the successful candidate has a strong understanding of mathematics and can wield this knowledge to create a dynamic experience that is never flat or boring. A strong background in traditional game design is also required as the Economy Designer will work closely with Lead Designers and Producers when crafting all new features for the road map.
- Establish the high level design direction for the game’s different economies
- Craft LTE balance archetypes and continually iterate based on which curves work the best
- Intentionally craft experiences that are enjoyable to a range of player types, while monetizing on specific segments. Balances should be both easy to engage but deep enough for core players to strategically min/max.
- Input and manage every number for the game via spreadsheets
- Create segments to target offers at specific player types
- Manage all in-game sales and the timing/cadence of events, sales and promotions
- Manufacture pinch points in the game around specific currencies at appropriate times and provide targeted solutions for the player that are clear.
- Create and manage tools to simulate how the game’s balance unfolds over time
- Establish reward types and quantities for all metasystems
- Consistently review engagement and monetary data to tune and iterate on all balances and feature-specific economies
- Take initiative to propose monetization improvements based on your AB tests, experiments and data analysis.
- Contribute to and sometimes lead the design of all new features and metasystems
- Implement and fine tune FTUEs and contextual tutorials
- Constantly extend the progression when in live operations so late game players are continually getting more new content
- Economies you are expected to work on but are not limited to: Main game balance,
- LTE balance and rewards, shop, ad monetization, objective criteria and rewards, gacha rewards, leaderboard tiers and rewards.
- Constantly react to the performances of sales, features, A/B tests and optimize them for future occurrences
- Strategize and test various hypotheses around live events to improve retention, monetization, and engagement
- Regularly meet with the CCO to align on the product road map and KPI goals
- Establish and implement effective strategies for IAP, subscription and ad monetization in-game
- Minimum 2-3 years experience balancing game economies on at least one shipped mobile title
- Breadth of knowledge of a variety of monetization, retention, economy and reward structures - how each are deployed, monitored and iterated upon.
- Adept at quantification and shaping actionable insights based on data, player feedback, and qualitative assessments.
- Can share examples of designing amazing player-facing features that have driven player engagement or improved key KPIs.
- Have managed the roll out of a product into test market and subsequently global launch
- Deep understanding of the current mobile market and can speak intelligently about a number of different top grossing titles.
- You are a master at working with spreadsheets and understand the advantages of different approaches to organizing design data and getting it in game
- Has driven the vision for a game and worked together with a team of designers, artists, and engineers to bring it to reality
- Deep knowledge of mobile UX, game balance and shop merchandising
- Excellent personal management skills
- Proven ability to own, build and iterate functions and processes.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Incredible social and writing skills
- Proactive in sharing knowledge with peers
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to help hire and develop great people
- High standards for individual and team work
- Experience with idle/simulation games is a plus
- Obsessed with playing games, expanding knowledge of the industry, and keeping up on the latest trends in F2P monetization and user acquisition
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.