Your game industry in your words, week of July 27
[Gamasutra highlights choice quotes from game industry figures from the past week, including Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, Ubisoft's Yves Guillemot, GameStop's Tony Bartel, and many others.]
In our original and exclusive interviews, analysis, and feature pieces over the past week, a wide variety of developers, publishers, and indies shared their thoughts on used game sales, this console generation's extended cycle, the advantages of working in small teams, and more.
This Week's Noteworthy Game Industry Quotes
"I'm actually astonished that we're about to launch a sequel and no one's stole it from us. The formula's right there. No one's stolen it yet. That's weird."
- Gearbox Studios president Randy Pitchford on Borderlands' formula
"We have been penalized by the lack of new consoles on the market. It's important for the entire industry to have new consoles because it helps creativity."
- Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot
"As we look back on our careers, the experiences from the five or 10 person teams have consistently produced our fondest memories."
- Former CastleVille lead designer and now BonusXP CEO Dave Pottinger
"I decided that the fundamental activity for my students ought to be, must be ... expressing game ideas in code."
- Infocom and LucasArts veteran Brian Moriarty
"Ten years ago it was very hard to understand how a consumer responded to something. ... Now, by being more pointed and focused about what we are offering, we are able to innovate faster."
- EA Games' global marketing SVP Laura Miele sharing how developers can iterate much faster now based on consumer feedback
"A lot of times we judge the success of a game -- and predict its sales -- by looking at its launch day numbers. Steam sales have made that delightfully impossible."
- Supergiant Games' (Bastion) Amir Rao
"One thing you can be sure of is our commitment"
- SCEE's European development account manager Agostino Simonetta on supporting indies through PlayStation Mobile and PS Minis
"I can't practice my freedom of making art or releasing my own creations. I always have to consider these other things. We are not free. I am not free."
- Syrian video game developer Radwan Kasmiya
"We are giving them 17 percent toward the purchase of their games today. We have that form of unfunded discount that we give to the publishers."
- GameStop president Tony Bartel noting that a percentage of trade-in credit for used games is spent on new games
"We build a social engine that people actually love, hate, despise each other, love each other, backstab each other, and play the good Samaritan. ... They feel a big emotional attachment to that, and that keeps them coming."
- EVE Online senior producer Jon Lander
The complete versions of these in-depth articles, as well as other insightful pieces, are all available in Gamasutra's pages for Exclusive
items and Features