IGF China 2014 seeking pan-Pacific indie game submissions
The Independent Games Festival China
– which will take place this October alongside GDC China
in Shanghai – has opened its call for submissions and is accepting indie game entries
from the pan-Pacific area from now through July 25.
GDC China will once again host all three main elements of IGF China, including the Independent Games Summit, the IGF Pavilion, and the prestigious IGF China Awards.
Now in its sixth year, the IGF Summit at GDC China will feature sessions from some of the world's top developers, while the IGF Pavilion will showcase some of the region's best independent and student games.
And of course the IGF China Awards – which are split into both Main and Student competitions – will honor the many talented developers in the pan-Pacific area.
Last year's event saw over 250 entries from regions including Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Serbia, Montenegro, and more.
Many excellent games were honored during last year's 5th annual IGF China awards
, including monochromatic puzzler and Best Game Winner One Upon Light
along with the Best Student Game winner, the China Academy of Art's Mineland
The 2014 IGF China Main Competition will give out awards and cash prizes in six categories, including:
- Best Game (RMB20,000 ~ $3,220 USD)
- Best Mobile Game (RMB10,000 ~ $1,610 USD)
- Excellence in Audio (RMB5,000 ~ $805 USD)
- Excellence in Design (RMB5,000 ~ $805 USD)
- Excellence in Technology (RMB5,000 ~ $805 USD)
- Excellence in Visual Arts (RMB5,000 ~ $805 USD)
The Student Competition, meanwhile, will offer two awards:
- Best Student Game (RMB10, 000 ~ $1,610 USD, 1 Winner)
- Excellent Student Winner (RMB3, 000 ~$483 USD, 2 Winners).
Finalists -- who will receive two All Access passes to attend GDC China 2014 and the IGF awards ceremony -- will be chosen by a panel of expert jurors including Kevin Li (CEO, TipCat Interactive); Monte Singman (Founder/CEO, Radiance Digital Entertainment); Xubo Yang (Director of Digital Art Lab and Assistant Professor; Shanghai Jiaotong University's School of Software), Haipeng Yu (Producer, Tencent Shanghai), and jury chairman Simon Carless, IGF Chairman Emeritus and EVP of the GDC shows and Gamasutra.
The key dates for IGF China include:
- July 25, 2014 - Submission Deadline
- September 10, 2014 - Finalists Announced
- October 19-21, 2014 - Game Developers Conference China 2014
- October 20, 2014 - Independent Games Summit at GDC China 2014
- October 20, 2014 - IGF China Awards Ceremony (Winners Announced!)
Registration for GDC China 2014 itself is expected to open later this month. For more information on the event, please visit the official conference site
For updates on all Game Developers Conferences, subscribe to regular updates via Facebook
, or RSS
Gamasutra and GDC are sibling organizations under parent UBM Tech.