5 Quick Tips for Developing a Successful Mobile Game
Game developers desire to make a new game as unique as possible. This makes sense since a game clone can hardly gain as much success as the original game. In reality, all of us - both gamedev beginners and game-making veterans - should be looking for a happy medium: follow top game trends, yet always remember to bring in the innovation.
Something borrowed, something own
- that's the main motto of the modern mobile games industry.
At Renatus Media, summarizing our experience with many game development studios, we jotted down some useful tips for those making new gaming apps:
1. On making graphics and building the mechanics of your game, keep in mind the core audience of your genre. For example, match 3 games are mostly played by females aged 19-35 and over 46. Proceed from mechanics according to the preferences of your core audience, but always add something of your own!
2. Forget extreme experimenting with game mechanics, that’s too risky and requires a more profound testing of segments. Be very careful at that point and always research first.
3. Pay more attention to business model and progress complexity of your game. They are key factors for creating a money-generating title, not the diversity of unusual features, upgrades, boosters and so on.
4. Plan out the volume, lifetime and support of your in-game content ahead. A hundred levels might well be a matter of 2-3 days for a modern casual player (especially, for a frequently paying one).
5. Take a few top games as an example of a good UI and UX. Study them in detail: from the way a game's basic elements are arranged to the list of payment methods. Remember that an average player will prefer standard UI to fully custom one.
Renatus Media, LLC is a game publishing company with focus on Facebook and mobile platforms. Launched in 2012, Renatus gained over 11 million active players worldwide!